Thursday, October 15, 2009

A package came in the mail today. This is an event worthy of blogging, especially when it comes from a "certain" Aunt Eliza Jayne and the clan that resides in Lake Mills.

I had stepped out of the house to run (drive) to the grocery store for an elusive spice which I was not able to locate during my last pilgrimage to our Super Wally's World (Wal-Mart). And while I'm on the subject, I don't usually like to make recipes that require ingredients not on my categorized and alphabetized grocery list, but there was a stew recipe that caught my attention as I was flipping through a magazine last week and I ended up including it in the menu for this week's dinners. Herbes de Provence. That was the name of culprit. The little known spice blend that put me in a tither this afternoon when I was getting ready to brown the cubed beef for this "new stew". I guess I could have done without it, but when I read what it consisted of; rosemary, thyme, lavender, etc......I really desired to have this French mixture of herbs to toss into the pot. So, off to the grocery store. (Only in a home school can the schedule be ground to a halt for the lack of Herbes de Provence.) The herbs were bought and the stew simmered. Back to the subject at hand.....The Package.

The discovery was made upon return from the store. Mail is always a huge event at our house, and a package,... well, let's just say its good it was found on the porch and not in the hands of the mailman. After it was rassled in the house, the excitement started to quickly escalate and soon was at a fevered pitch. My cue to get things under control was when Andie, jumping with excitement, jumped into Kin's water dish and got soaking wet. Simeon, being as level headed as he is, quickly produced his pocket knife to assist in opening the object of much attention before anyone else injured themselves or each other. The shipment was addressed to and for the "Von Haden Children", and was intended for the purpose of honoring and celebrating the birthdays of Simeon, Marilla, Jubal, Elsa, and Ruben. Five birthdays we've seemed to line up, all within 37 days.

Oh the excitement as I feigned ignorance as to which side of the box opened....a powerful moment in my life as a parent. The correct slit was made, the box opened, and the contents revealed. Markers! Hot cocoa! Paints! Gourmet candy corn! Gum! ...and the list went on. A cheer went up from the crowd as the contents were distributed amongst the masses. Math books and grammar was shoved aside as markers and paints were "tested",......mini skateboards were assembled, ......candy was tasted and gum was chewed. Smiles all around and another day full of memories with a touch of sugar.

Now that I look back over the whole crazy event, the anticipation was the real treat.....the waiting, not knowing what to expect,.......the unexpected,......and the joy of being there with my children to watch them experience the simple pleasure of a package. Thank you Aunt Eliza and Uncle Tim.


Quote of the day: "Mom, when I'm done with my Paces [kindergarten work], do I get to go to Hawaii?" -Elsa age 5

No comments:

Post a Comment